• Newsletters, VA Policies, and Links

    VA Policies and Important Information

    In order to properly process your certification request, all previous college transcripts and/or military records must be evaluated for appropriate transfer credit prior to certification of benefits, even if the coursework does not apply to your current curriculum.

    The Department of Veteran Affairs requires that your coursework must be credited towards the associate of arts or associate of science degrees, approved applied degrees, approved diploma programs and approved certificate programs.

    You must report any changes in your schedule and supply a copy of your new schedule to the Veterans Services Center (VSC). The Department of Military and Veteran Affairs requires that your coursework is applicable to your chosen degree, diploma, or certificate. Courses that are not applicable to your degree, diploma or certificate cannot be certified. You will receive either a written notice or a telephone call informing you that a course(s) cannot be certified. It is your responsibility to respond to the notice. Please allow enough time to process a Schedule Adjustment (Drop/Add), if necessary.

  • Veterans Forms and Links

    Complete a VA Certification Education Request for each semester that you are requesting benefits.
    CCAC VA Education Benefit Certification Request

    Below are links for some of the other necessary forms:

    VA Form 22-1990 
    Application for VA Educational Benefits

    VA Form 22-1995 
    Request for Change of Program or Place of Training

    VA Form 22-5490 
    Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

    VA Form 22-5495 
    Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance

    DD-214 MEMBER4 
    U.S. National Archives & Records Administration's website

  • Change of degree or certificate program

    A change of degree or certificate program is permitted, but must be accompanied by a Change of Program form. We recommend you follow this link to the Veterans Administration to fill out the form. The form is then forwarded to the Veterans Administration. It is their decision to approve or disapprove the proposed change.

    Class Attendance

    Failure to attend a class without processing an official withdrawal will result in the Veterans Administration readjusting your training time and monthly benefit.

    If a student enrolls in a class and is reported as not attending by the class instructor, the student may be dropped from the class. Although the class will not appear on the students official transcript, the student will be responsible for all tuition and fees associated with the class.

    Repeating Courses

    Department of Veteran Affairs regulations prohibit repeating a course in which a passing grade (a "d" grade or higher) was earned. However, if a "C" grade or better is necessary to progress to the next level (i.e. Nursing Clinicals), the repeated course can be certified.

    Monthly Monetary Award

    It is the responsibility of the Department of Veteran Affairs to determine your eligibility and monthly monetary award. This is not determined by the Military and Veterans Services Center. Students who have tuition assistance through the Pennsylvania National Guard must take a letter of eligibility from their unit commander to the Bursar office every term. Any questions you may have regarding your eligibility or education benefits should be directed to the Department of Veteran Affairs. You may telephone them at 888.442.4551

    Important: VA students are paid on a monthly basis based on current hours enrolled. Students need to be aware that taking courses in subterms (16 weeks, 14 weeks) may affect their full-time status. It is the student's responsibility to check this with the Department of Military and Veteran Affairs.

    You are responsible to report to the Department of Veteran Affairs the number of credits you are enrolled in at the end of each month for all chapters except 33 and 31. you can do this by phone at 877.823.2378 or via the Web at: www.gibill.va.gov/education/.

    Student Policies and Standards of Progress

    In order to continue receiving your Department of Veteran Affairs benefits you must maintain grades in accordance with the CCAC Standards of Academic Progress.

    The Community College of Allegheny County's catalog policies and regulations apply to all students, including veterans. Department of Veteran Affairs' rules are additional rules which apply to veterans only. Please feel free to discuss your questions with your counselor or academic advisor.